- Pay outrageously high non-resident fees to any of Columbia's outdoor swim facilities.
- Join YMCA of Ellicott City as a member. The dues are not as high, but there is a $99 registration fee.
- Apply to an overpriced private swim club.
- Make great friends with someone who has a backyard pool.
For many families, one of these options makes sense - especially if you are swimming several times a week. But for the families that may just want to swim once a week or less, there's another great option located in nearby Anne Arundel County: The North Arundel Aquatic Center.
Located in Glen Burnie, this brand new facility is open year round and offers a variety of acitivities, from group swim lessons, to swim teams, as well as ample free swim time in the fantastic indoor water park. The indoor water park features something for every swimmer:
- a zero depth entry and splash area
- a tot sized water slide
- a real whirlpool - this is my kids' favorite
- a designated lap area
- a 3 story grown up water slide with a splash pool
- a hot tub
- bench seating
Swimmers must be fully potty trained to take advantage of this facility. The locker rooms are ultra nice, and there is even a family locker room in addition to the women's and men's lockers.
Our favorite part about this park - you buy your tickets the same day, and admission is limited. Once they're sold out for the session, they're sold out. But there is no pricey fee to join, and no monthly dues. Our family of 4 costs $20 for an afternoon of swimming.
For us, this is a great option.